• This topic has 11 replies, 8 voices, and was last updated eleven years, 7 months ago by lily47.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 full)

  • Writer

    Posts

  • #988748

    I want to endeavor some color on scratchboard eventually, so I thought I would ask for advice on what brands of color work best. Any help would be appreciated.

    #1142163

    I don't often color my boards but I practise I use Ampersand Inks for clayboard…I've tried other mediums/inks but ampersand is my fav. I find I can mix any color I want with them… I really similar how transparent they are and how nicely they layer to achieve depth.


    Lorna Hannett.com[/URL]
    Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most.

    #1142171

    Hi Russ,
    I've used acrylic inks with scratchboard in one case before and got on well. i used several sparse layers and built up the force of colour. see zipper.
    By the way, that's a neat portrait of the elderly gentleman on scratchboard.org. And overnice stippling for his sweater/jumper.

    Regards,
    Steve

    #1142170

    For the few scratchboards that I take colored, I used the Ampersand Inks. The colors layer well and only colour the exposed clay in the scratches. One time you spray the board with a fixative, whatsoever overpainting or smudging on the black surface disappears..

    Brett

    #1142164

    Lorna, Steve, and Brett, thanks for the replies. I just ordered a set of the Ampersand inks. It would be overnice to endeavour them out today, but I'm guessing they'll show up sometime next week. Practiced times.

    Steve, I had a lot of fun with that stippling. Your Andrew Townsley portrait has been inspirational to me. You must have spent an eternity on those textures.

    #1142169

    Russ, I apply Ampersand, simply also FW acrylic inks, Aureate fluid acrylics and Inktense pencils. Since Indy I just started using Liquitex acrylic inks and they are replacing Gilded for me.

    Terri :p
    When something doesn't get my way...I selection myself up...castor the disappointment off my rhinestones, and try not to harden my heart over it. - Dolly Parton
    I merely took the energy it takes to pout and wrote some blues. - Duke Ellington

    #1142165

    Terri, what makes you like the liquitex better?

    #1142168

    I guess the only matter I have not tried is oil. I will utilize anything with color just to see what different effects can be accomplished. I like ampersands ink the best and I find acrylics one of the toughest to scratch after application. Rick

    #1142167

    I tend to stay in the 'muted' range so I ofttimes use watercolours. I've recently been using inks, but whatever ink I can get my hands on. If I stuff up, being scratchboard I tin ever fix information technology (something that other media people recall is impossible with scratchboard – simply in reality information technology'due south quite a forgiving medium.)

    #1142172

    Yous're correct, it took a while, merely was rewarding in the stop.
    Steve

    #1142162

    Yous name it I've tried it. I really like the Ampersand inks for all the above reasons plus, if I want to touch up or clarify with color pencils the Ampersand inks are not so slick and requite me some tooth to work with.
    On white boards I too like color pencils. I use the Prisma color pencils.

    Diana

    #1142166

    My order of Ampersand inks will be here on Friday. I'yard getting more and more than anxious to try them. Diana, I hadn't even thought of colored pencil. Patently I don't oft think exterior my niggling box. :)

Viewing 12 posts - ane through 12 (of 12 full)

  • Yous must be logged in to reply to this topic.